CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, May 23, 2008

Yummy Recipe

How would you like to have a recipe that is cheap, high in fiber and protein, low in fat and still tastes good? Well, I have it for you. I found a recipe in the Wichita Eagle last week that I wanted to try. I was sure that the family would not think fondly of it......but thought I'd try anyway. Sure enough....I prepared the plates and set them on the table....and the responses started to come.... "Ooh, that looks yucky"...."I don't like this mom".....great, I thought, how am I going to get through this dinner???? Well, to my surprise, once it was tried by everyone, it turned out to be OK. I was surprised at the end of the meal to hear everyone saying that they really liked it. I'm so happy and I'll be adding a few more black bean dishes to our menu!! Here it is. We enjoyed this with steamed broccoli, fruit and our not-so-healthy cheese breadsticks.

Spaghetti with Black Bean Sauce

8 oz. spaghetti noodles (I used whole wheat noodles)
2 T. oil
1 c. chopped onion
1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes (or crushed tomatoes for those who don't like chunky)
2 t. Italian seasoning

Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat the oil and saute onion until golden, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add beans, tomato sauce, tomatoes and Italian seasoning and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until sauce is thick, about 4 minutes. Serve sauce hot over cooked spaghetti.

Enjoy!

0 comments: